If you have been asked to attend the surgery for a special breathing test known as Spirometry this is usually a 40 minute appointment with one of the specialist nurses. This will involve breathing into a machine and the results will then be interpreted by your doctor and nurse.
Your appointment will be 40 minutes in duration and to gain the best results from the test it is best to follow the tips below:
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes
- Do not smoke for 4 hours prior to the test
- Do not drink alcohol for 24 hours prior to the test
- Avoid eating a large meal in the 2 hours prior to the test
- Vigorous exercise should be avoided in the hour prior to the test
- It is a good idea to arrive at least 10 minutes early so that you can sit comfortably for that time
- It is a good idea to empty your bladder prior to the test
- If you have an inhaler please do not use it 4 hours prior to the test; if you think this will be a problem, please discuss with a clinician
If your symptoms are severe you may not be able to comply with these instructions. Please let the nurse know at your appointment.
If you have questions or concerns with any of these instructions please contact the Asthma nurse prior to your appointment.
Please bring all current inhalers with you.